Random Ramblings about Things and Whatever

Random Ramblings about Things and Whatever

Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Random Record Review: "Photograph" Def Leppard 1983


Credited to: Allen,Clark,Elliot,Lange,Savage,Willis.
From the album Pyromania.

I am not a big fan of this band, but I do kinda like this song. I was going to attempt to do this whole intellectual deconstruction of the song, but the truth is I don't know that much about music theory and the only real reason I like this song is the simplest: It's a hum-able catchy do-dad. This song is bubble gum metal at it's tastiest and it's chewiest!

First the listener is drawn in by a slinky seductive hard rock riff. Like the bastard child of 70's metal made pretty by 80's gloss. A simple drum beat lays the foundation on which the band builds a mighty tower of unrequited desire. Joe's voice full of yearning and youthful exuberance struts in with bravado beyond it's station and tells his tale of woe (ok,time to stifle these metaphors).

Supposedly,this song was inspired by Marilyn Monroe. Uh,ok...I couldn't tell by the lyrics, but... ok. Can someone explain to me what "passion killer" refers to? Is it supposed to be Joe because he can't have Marilyn? It can't mean Marilyn because I would think photos of Monroe would stir up one's passion not kill it.

Now getting to the good stuff, "Ooh,Ooh! Look what you've done to this rock n roll clown!" When I first heard this line I thought it was "Nuthin' too wild for a rock n roll town!" Then I found out what the real words were. I was disappointed, it went from a declaration of hard rock "Bad-itude" to Joe declaring himself a mope. Sheesh! And of course the chorus is one of the greatest hooks of the era. Best sing-songy chorus the band has ever had and why "Photograph" is one of the best POP songs of the 80's. Taylor Swift new it and so do you. After one listen you can sing the chorus, your mom can sing the chorus your kids can sing the chorus! Think they're gonna remember that Jonas Bros album you bought them? No! But they WILL remember THIS hook 20 years later if you just play it for them once! Don't forget other shining moments; the best bridge ever, "You've gone straight to my Heaaad!" Joe holding that note like a man on a mission, a slick 80's melodic guitar solo by Phil that's just tasteful enuff, a now it's back to the damn catchy "Oh,Oh" chorus! Classic fade out...the song never ends. It goes on forever...in your head.

uh,the music video for this song is one of the tackiest things ever committed to film.

1 comment:

  1. Photograph was cool. U're right,it is catchy. Myself, I was more partial 2 Rock Of Ages and especially Foolin. Pour Some Sugar On Me..I hadda
    get use 2.

    ReplyDelete